THREADED RODS SECURE THE CONNECTION OF TWO COMPONENTS
Threaded rods are simply metal rods that are part or fully threaded. Globally, these rods are mainly used by building and mechanical engineering professionals. The threaded rods are used when a screw is not long enough to connect two components. This is the male element of the screw / nut system designed for the assembly of parts. Its female element is therefore the nut. These two assembled elements then form a bolt.
These assembly parts have the advantage of adapting to the desired length. On wurth.co.uk you will find threaded rods corresponding to DIN 976 standards and in multiple materials: raw steel, stainless steel, zinc-plated steel, bichromate steel, hot-dip galvanized steel, polyamide, etc.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF THREADED RODS?
Würth offers threaded rods in different materials:
• Zinc-plated steel, raw steel and galvanized steel.
• Stainless steel (A2 and A4 stainless steel): This material is rust resistant and therefore very resistant to humidity. Stainless steel is therefore often used for outdoor use. A4 stainless steel is preferred for outdoor use by the sea, for example.
• Polyamide: Plastic threaded rods are very light, which is why they are often used in model making or in the furniture industry.
• The nominal diameter is indicated by M and a number: M8, M12, M14, M18, M20 ... This number describes the external diameter of the threaded rod.
• The length of the threaded rod is mainly 1000 mm, or 1 meter. But you will also find some references sold in 2000 mm length, or 2 meters. It is of course possible to subsequently adjust the size of a rod to your liking.
• Resistance class: 4.8, 8.8, 10.9...
LEFT HAND THREAD VS RIGHT HAND THREAD
As a rule, the thread of the rods is left to right, so a right-hand thread. This is convenient for right-handed people, as they can exert a greater tightening torque when screwing by hand. However, there are also threaded rods with left-hand threads that are especially useful for left-handed people.
However, professionals also use them in all places where a right-hand thread would come loose under the effect of force. This is the case, for example, with bicycle pedals or fixing screws for chucks.
PRODUCTS THAT CAN BE ASSOCIATED
• Threaded rod cutter: to take advantage of custom parts, you will need to cut the rod using a threaded rod cutter. These tools are capable of cutting in one go without damaging the thread and also allow you to directly bolt the rod after cutting by adding a nut.
• Threaded rod support: do you transport these types of parts on a daily basis in your utility vehicle? Our ORSYmobil range offers you a suitable support to transport them safely and easily find them.